Maryland State Sen. Minority Whip Steve Hershey is reported to be launching an attack on Maryland's working families by introducing legislation to allow local jurisdictions to become "right-to-work".
Facts about "Right to work"
- These laws drive down wages for all workers, including non-union members, women, and people of color.
- Workers living in right-to-work states earn about $1,500 less per year than workers in states without these laws. The wage penalty is even higher for women and workers of color.
- Workers in right-to-work states are less likely to have health insurance.
- The rate of employer-sponsored health insurance for workers in right-to-work states is 2.6 percentage points lower than in states without these restrictions.
- Right to work makes workplaces more dangerous. According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is higher in right-to-work states.
Stand up against Sen. Hershey's attack on working families and join the growing list of Marylanders who know that "right to work" is wrong for Maryland.